ObjectiveThe Student Program is designed to provide career-related, summer employment for secondary and post-secondary students, by providing wage subsidies to employers. The Student Program also supports the operation of a summer employment office.
To qualify for the Student Program, participants must be:
• Six Nations of the Grand River band members who are attending secondary or post-secondary school, on a full or part-time basis and who intend to return to school, on a full-time basis.
• Secondary or post-secondary students.
• Legally entitled to work in Canada.
• Registered with Grand River Employment and Training’s Student Office.
Employers must submit a job description and training plan and be willing to provide work experience that will prepare students to work in their chosen career. Employers must sign an agreement with GREAT and adhere to the terms and conditions in the agreement.
No minimum duration. Agreements range in duration, according to activities, to a maximum duration of ten (10) weeks.
• Wage subsidies are available, up to the provincial adult minimum wage rate. Mandatory employment related costs (MERCs) are incurred by Grand River Employment and Training.
• Special costs related to persons with disabilities may be provided, if required.
• Summer employment office’s operating costs, including but not limited to Student Coordinator’s salary, office rent, promotional material and advertising, student workshops and utilities.
Employers, Sponsors & Training Partners
Businesses and organizations including but not limited to profit and not-for-profit, labour associations and government departments. Employers must have:
• A Revenue Canada Taxation number, to remit a student’s Employment Insurance benefits.
• Proper bookkeeping policies and practices in place.
• Proper health and safety policies in place.
• Third party liability or WSIB coverage.