ObjectiveThe Skills Enhancement Program is designed to help employed or under-employed participants remain gainfully employed when a threat of loss of a job is imminent or to enable employed participants to enhance the skills required for their employment goal. A threat of loss of a job can be a result of changes in technology or certification or education requirements for the job.
To qualify for the Skills Enhancement Program, participants must be:
- Employed or under-employed Six Nations band members. An under-employed person is defined as one or more of the following: working part-time (working 20 hours or less in a week); working in a job that does not match an individual’s qualifications and receiving a salary less than what is normal for that position; and an individual working in a position that does not meet the individual’s financial needs.
- Individual must be registered with Grand River Employment and Training.
Businesses and organizations including but not limited to profit and not-for-profit and government departments. Employers must have:
- A Revenue Canada Taxation number to remit an individual’s employment insurance benefits
- Proper bookkeeping policies and practices in place.
- Health and safety practices and policies in place.
- Third-party liability or WSIB coverage.
- There must be a threat of job loss if training is not received.
- Employers must continue to pay the participant’s wages if the participant enrols in training while “off-the-job”.
- Training may be full-time or part-time.
- Training and training costs must be identified before the training starts.
- Employer application must be submitted, which includes a detailed training plan.
- Employers must intend to provide continued employment to the participant, upon completion of the training program.
Maximum of training, up to fifty-two (52) weeks.
- Training costs for off-the-job training. It is expected that the employer will contribute a minimum of 10% of the training costs.
- Special costs related to persons with disabilities may be provided, as required.