Website Woodland Cultural Centre
Woodland Cultural Centre
Location: Woodland Cultural Centre, 184 Mohawk Street, Brantford, ON
Position: Ǫgwehǫweh/Onkwehonweh Administrative Assistant
Department: Dwadwenaga:dat Language Centre
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Rate of Pay: $18.00 per hour (7.5 hours per day)
Closing Date: October 20, 2021, 4PM
The Woodland Cultural Centre Dwadwenaga:dat Language Centre is seeking one highly motivated individual to assist with: day to day Dwadwenaga:dat Language Centre operations, on going research and administrative duties.
The Ǫgwehǫweh/Onkwehonweh Administrative Assistant will report directly to the Language & Cultural Coordinator.
Basic Job Description:
1. Assists in designated administrative details using initiative and judgment as required.
2. Prepares and maintains filing system of all records, reports, correspondence, purchase orders, invoices and maintains data files.
3. Assists in designated administrative details using initiative and judgment as required.
4. Responds appropriately and professionally to a variety of questions regarding the Dwadwenaga:dat Language Centre from the general public.
5. Provides Notice of Meeting and prepares all materials for the Sweetgrass First Nations Language Council including: meeting binders, catering, Agendas and Minutes of the Council.
6. Maintains a current and up-to-date mail and digital contact list.
7. Functions constructively and positively as a Woodland Centre team member
8. Maintains contact with community Indigenous/First Nations language partners and stakeholders.
9. Participates in staff development training as required and recommended.
10. Endorses the goals and objectives of the Woodland Cultural Centre and adheres to the Centre’s policies and directives established by the Board of Directors.
11. Ensures quality of end product while meeting deadlines and working within a time frame.
12. Orders, records and files all expenditures of Dwadwenaga:dat Language Centre.
13. Types/computes and assembles proposals to funders.
14. Assists with the development and formats on-going digital and print catalogues for Department Archive
15. Assists with the ongoing development and management of Language Resource/Reference Centre.
- Must possess a post-secondary degree or diploma or minimum 2 years demonstrated related work experience in office administration.
- Must have strong communication and leadership skills.
- Must have a solid work ethic.
- Must be an organized individual
- Must be able to work with minimum supervision
- Must possess a strong knowledge of Six Nations Communities and their Languages
- Must work well in group settings.
- Due to location of office: Must have a valid driver’s license and vehicle
- Must be able to type/keyboard in Mohawk, Cayuga and Onondaga texts
- Must be able to work in the Office Software Suite: Word, Excel, Power Point etc.
- Must be able to work within the Apple/Mac O/S, (PC operating system will be considered an asset).
- Willingness to train in data/archiving software will be an asset
All applicants for this position should submit a cover letter, resume, and three references.
Preference will be given to applicants of Indigenous heritage.
Closing Date: October 19, 2021 at 4:00 pm
If interested, please send cover letter and resumé with references to:
Woodland Cultural Centre
184 Mohawk Street, Brantford, ON, N3S 2X2
Only those applicants who meet the qualifications will be contacted for an interview
Police Record Check and copies of education will be required at the time of Offer of Employment