Website Atlohsa Family Healing Services
Posting Date: Thursday, September 22, 2022
Posting ID: 087
Atlohsa Family Healing Services is seeking a motivated and dynamic individual to fill the role of Support Worker
– Casual/Relief Staff. The primary role of the Support Worker is to provide crisis intervention, education on family violence, safety planning, referrals, advocacy services, information, and counseling to women and children who have been exposed to domestic violence at the 24-hour emergency shelter. The Support Worker will be supervised directly by the Shelter Coordinator at Zhaawanong Shelter.
Role and Responsibility
Using a holistic Indigenous led approach to principles of trauma informed care and supporting women and children who are fleeing violence and abuse, the successful applicant will offer compassionate and empathetic care and support to women and their children who require safety. The Support Worker will be responsible for the 24-hour crisis line, assessment and intake, safety planning, wholistic care approaches to wellness and housing support. This may include providing lay counselling and proactively intervening when crisis or conflict arises, which may include aggressive or disruptive in the moment behavior. The Support Worker will liaison with other social service agencies, record accurate and detailed shift notes and must be able to provide clear, concise objective communication regarding community members being supported.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the languages, traditional ways, history and cultures of the Indigenous population in the London region
- Formal post-secondary education training such as a degree in Social Sciences, Diploma in Human Services and/or related experience working with Indigenous Women and Children in Crisis
- Understanding of Indigenous homelessness, with a demonstrated experience and knowledge of Indigenous traditional family values, childcare practices and healing practice
- Knowledge of legal issues, the court system regarding family violence, the impact of family violence on women and children
- Ability to contribute to a culturally safe space with an awareness of its impact on practice
- Skills in conflict resolution, mediation, and negotiation (to build trust and resolve disagreements)
- Current Vulnerable Sector check required
- Female applicants of indigenous ancestry preferred
EMPLOYMENT TERM: Relief, as needed START DATE: As soon as possible CLOSING DATE: Until filled REMUNERATION: $22.50 per hour
Individuals who self-identify as First Nations, Metis or Inuit are strongly encouraged to apply. At Atlohsa, we value diversity in our workforce and encourage all qualified candidates to apply, however preferences will be given to qualified, Indigenous applicants.
Please submit a cover letter and resume or referral to: Atlohsa Family Healing Services Inc.
641 Jubilee Road Muncey, ON N0L 1Y0
Tel No. 519-438-0068 | Fax No.: 519-438-0070 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Full Job Description Available Upon Request. We thank all those who apply however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.