Kayanase – Contract Position
Position: Jr. Ecologist
As the Jr. Ecologist you will exposed to our ecological restoration activities such as planting, invasive plant management, plant identification, project site assessments and project planning. If you have experience in soil classification, native plant identification skills, and want to partake in native plant restoration projects, this position is for you.
As the Jr. Ecologist you will possess some of the following skills in tree planting, landscaping, soil classification and understanding of remote area navigation. In addition to these skills, you must meet these qualifications:
- Diploma OR Bachelor’s Degree in Biology, Ecology, Botany, Forestry, Environmental Science OR other applicable field
- Possess a clear understanding of the role Kayanase plays within the community, and surrounding areas requiring restoration and invasive species management.
If you have a strong desire to help the native environment thrive, tell us who you are by submitting the following:
- Cover letter stating how you meet the demands of this position
- Up to Date Resume highlighting your qualifications, and
- Three (3) work related references (letters not required)
|Kayanase’s Mission: is to restore the health and beauty of Mother Earth, using science-based approaches and Traditional Ecological Knowledge (TEK).|
Applications may be submitted to:
Human Resources, P.O. Box 69, 16 Sunrise Court, Ohsweken, Ontario N0A 1M0
Applications may also be faxed and emailed to (f)(519)445-4777 or email@example.com please have all documentation submitted by 4:00pm on Wednesday January 26, 2022. Late applications will not be considered.
GRETI is committed to accessibility for persons with disabilities based upon the core principles of dignity, independence, inclusion, integration, responsiveness and equality of opportunity in employment and training. We welcome all applications; preference will be given to Six Nations members to provide services for the Six Nations community; based on the need to provide professional services, only those applicants meeting the minimum qualifications will be contacted for an interview
| Title: Jr. Ecologist
Reports To: CEO, Business Opportunities or Delegate
PURPOSE AND SCOPE
The Jr Ecologist’s duties will centre around ecological restoration activities including restoration planting and invasive plant management, plant identification, vegetation surveys, species at risk research and identification, project site assessments and project planning and proposal writing assistance.
The Jr Ecologist’s day to day activities will be guided by the Field Crew Lead, Ecologist and /or the Ecotourism Coordinator. Opportunities exist for hands on and academic learning.
The Jr Ecologist shall possess a clear understanding of the role Kayanase plays within the community, and surrounding areas requiring restoration and invasive species management.
- Diploma or Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Ecology, Botany, Forestry, Environmental Science or other applicable field
- Native Plant identification skills, wildlife identification or water quality sampling an asset
- Experience in tree planting, gardening, landscaping, and/or construction an asset
- Soil classification and identification of soil horizons is a key asset
- Previous experience working around large equipment and machinery is an asset
- Understanding of remote area navigation; experience using maps, compass, GPS and aerial photos for navigation in the field is an asset
- Demonstrated ability to drive trucks and/or a variety of off-road vehicles in rough terrain
- Experience towing trailers and basic mechanical skills
- Physically capable of and willing to access work sites by foot, sometimes in wet and/or steep conditions
- Experience using spreadsheets and GIS programs
- Demonstrated leadership, communication and decision-making skills
- Able to think critically, problem solve, and prioritize time and effort effectively
- Professional conduct, strong interpersonal skills and be a positive energy to the role
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Willingness to work in the field for extended periods of time
- Be able to work flex time or overtime to meet deadlines and or emergency situations
The Jr Ecologist will implement restoration project work at the ground level with daily correspondence with the Staff Lead for the assigned project as well as the following duties and responsibilities:
- Field work is a requirement, 50% or more of time will be allocated to with ecological restoration projects and/or assisting with greenhouse activities.
- Working in an office setting is a requirement, 50% or more of time will be allocated to fulfilling office duties.
- Prepare various reports related to site assessments and monitoring in the field to assess new and existing projects, formulating restoration plans
- Create high-quality content that conveys technical concepts.
- Keep up to date on industry guidelines and regulatory requirements as it relates to reclamation and revegetation in Ontario.
- Compile, manage and analyze data that is collected in the field.
- Assist with plant stock care and handling in the greenhouse and on site as needed.
- Participate in regular staff meetings
All other duties as requested by the Staff Leads
FOR A COMPLETE COPY OF THE JOB DESCRIPTION, PLEASE CONTACT HUMAN RESOURCES at firstname.lastname@example.org, please allow 24 hours for a return email or call (519)445-2222 ext. 3113.