Indigenous education, Canada's future.
Indspire is an Indigenous national registered charity that invests in the education of Indigenous people for the long-term benefit of these individuals, their families and communities, and Canada. With the support of its funding partners, Indspire disburses financial awards, delivers programs, and shares resources with the goal of improving educational outcomes for First Nations, Inuit, and Métis students. Through Indspire’s education offerings, we provide resources to students, educators, communities, and other stakeholders who are committed to improving success for Indigenous youth. In 2019-20, Indspire awarded over $17.8 million through more than 5,124 bursaries and scholarships to First Nations, Inuit, and Métis youth, making it the largest funder of Indigenous post-secondary education outside the federal government. Each year, the organization presents the Indspire Awards, a celebration of the successes achieved by First Nations, Inuit, and Métis people that is broadcast nationally.
Never has there been a better time to join this national leader!
We are currently hiring for a Bursary and Scholarship Officer. Reporting to the Manager of Building Brighter Futures, this role is responsible for the administration, implementation, and maintenance of Indspire’s student award program, including but not limited to processing, tracking and monitoring all student awards. The Bursary & Scholarship Officer coordinates all activities related to post-secondary education scholarship and bursary applicants. This role also provides program support, technical troubleshooting, and outreach to expand student applications before, during and after the application process.
The position responsibilities of the Bursary and Scholarship Officer include:
Administration of the Building Brighter Futures Program
- Manages and revises Scholarship and Bursary application forms and guidelines as needed
- Assesses student applications for eligibility, and categorizes by program, reviewing budget, and evaluating for completeness according to criteria
- Ensures adherence to sponsor criteria throughout the Jury process and matching
- Acts as point of contact for applicants and responds daily to inquiries from applicants and the public
- Matches recipient to donor and works closely with Finance processing payments
- Prepares spreadsheets of eligible, ineligible, and unsuccessful applicants
- Prepares, reviews, and revises Jury spreadsheets along with Jury documentation and coordinates overall Jury process
- Communicates with applicants regarding their outstanding documentation, budget revisions, etc.
- Contacts eligible applicants to notify that their application will proceed to Jury
- Prepares communications to successful, ineligible, unsuccessful applicants
- Contacts successful applicants for banking information
- Prepares spreadsheets and information to Finance and corrects as needed
- Supports coordination of assessed documentation ensuring students are informed of application status according to BBF program policy
- Recommends improvements to BBF program policies and forms
- Provides technical troubleshooting support to others for form development/revision and to applicants for online form completion
- Trains support staff in processing BBF applications
- Updates and maintains email templates in the CRM
- Creates Donor accounts, Fund and Award Records in CRM based on the information in Sponsor Agreements
- Updates declined awards in CRM for return of funds to sponsor’s account
- Creates queries in CRM and retrieves Fetch XML in matching students to sponsors based on the information provided in Agreements.
Program Support and Outreach
- Provides statistical data for requested reports
- Conducts webinars with students about the BBF application provisions and process
- Participates in events such as conferences, trade shows, and career fairs to promote Indspire programs
- Participates in various projects
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Completion of 2-year college diploma in relevant field (education, administration, or social sciences) or equivalent
- Progressive experience usually demonstrated through 3-5 years work experience in related field
- Ability to read and disseminate Sponsor Agreements
- Knowledge of and experience in Indigenous communities strongly preferred
- Demonstrated openness to learning and willingness to engage in cultural competency training
- Ability to work in a high volume processing environment
- Ability to provide work direction to students, contractors and volunteers
- Strong and effective spoken and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, flexible, work within short timelines
- Ability to work under pressure, manage and prioritize competing demands
- Ability to work independently and work well with a team.
- Ability to deal with difficult situations and sometimes challenging behaviours.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong technical skills and proficiency with MS Office, database systems, and Excel spreadsheets
- Ability to work with sensitive information with complete confidentiality
- Ability to work in French is an asset
- Occasional travel between Six Nations and Toronto offices is required
- Must be able to work occasional evenings and possess a willingness to travel within Canada.
The duties within this job description can be amended from time to time.
How to Apply
This is a full-time position based at Indspire’s Six Nations office. The salary range is competitive with a comprehensive benefits package, including pension plan.
We are an Indigenous organization whose mandate is to promote opportunities for Indigenous people. We encourage applications from qualified First Nations, Inuit, and Métis people and all others interested in the position.
To apply, please forward your résumé and cover letter to email@example.com. All qualified candidates will be contacted directly. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No agency calls please.
To learn more about Indspire, visit indspire.ca.
Deadline for Applications: April 5, 2021.