Indigenous Wellness Worker
Full Job Description Available Upon Request. We thank all those who apply however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Posting Date: Friday, October 29, 2021
Posting ID: 057
Atlohsa Native Family Healing Services is seeking a motivated and dynamic individual to fill the role of Indigenous Wellness Worker. The primary role of the Indigenous Wellness Worker is to provide crisis intervention and support, assessments, referrals, and follow up services to women, men, and children as well as family members affected by mental health, substance use issues, addictions, family violence and homelessness. The Indigenous Wellness Worker will provide prevention programs that are participant-led as well as strength-based healing and culturally relevant supports to individuals who have experienced and/or been exposed to violence/abuse.
Roles and Responsibility:
Using a Holistic Indigenous-led approach, the successful applicant will offer a range of personalized and outcome-focused supports to participants including access to meaningful activities or programs in one-on-one or group settings. The Indigenous Wellness Worker must have excellent administrative skills, record accurate and detailed case notes and must be able to provide clear, concise objective communication regarding participants to other support staff and/or social service agencies. The Indigenous Wellness Worker will advocate for participants and liaison with other social service agencies. The worker must have excellent communication skills and the ability to plan and facilitate recovery groups and circles for participants to promote holistic healing values and principles. Participating in the agency wide programming and circle of care approaches, the successful applicant will work closely on case management with other staff to best support the families accessing Atlohsa Family Healing Services. The Indigenous Wellness Worker will be familiar with the services and resources other providers in the London community and First Nations communities offer and will build a network of community partners.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the languages, traditional ways, history and cultures of theIndigenous population in the London region
- Current knowledge of Indigenous community services and resources
- Minimum of 2 years work experience and training in addictions, counselling and mental health
- College or university education in social services such as Social Services is an asset
- Experience working with women and children who have been exposed to violence/abuse and with individualswho are experiencing homelessness
- Demonstrated ability to receive training support, supervision and direction
- Demonstrated strengths in interpersonal relations, problem-solving, crisis intervention, group dynamics,community development and other innovative approaches
- Cultural competency and an awareness of its impact on practice
- Skills in conflict resolution, mediation, and negotiation (to build trust and resolve disagreements)
- Excellent organizational and coordination skills and the ability to prioritize multiple competing workloaddemands in fast paced environment
- Effective communication (both written and verbal) and interpersonal skills with the ability to interact withothers in a respectful manner as defined in the Atlohsa Code of Conduct
- Valid Ontario Driver’s License, First Aid and CPR certificate and Current Vulnerable Sector Check
- Female applicants of Indigenous Ancestry preferred
EMPLOYMENT TERM: Part-Time, Educational leave Contract until July 29, 2022
START DATE: Immediately
CLOSING DATE: Open until filled
REMUNERATION: $22.50/hour, 24 hours per week
Individuals of Indigenous Ancestry are strongly encouraged to apply. Atlohsa supports diversity in all its various manifestations, however, preferences will be given to qualified, Indigenous applicants.
Please submit a cover letter and resume or referral to:
Atlohsa Family Healing Services Inc.
2212 Elm Ave
Southwold, ON N0L 2G0
Tel No. 519-438-0068 | Fax No.: 519-438-0070 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org