Website Hamilton Regional Indian Center
The Hamilton Regional Indian Centre is currently accepting applications for the position of
Indigenous Outreach Navigator.
The Hamilton Regional Indian Centre (HRIC) is a large Indigenous not for profit organization. We are culturally based and committed to driving positive change for the community. As a staff member of HRIC you will have opportunity for professional growth, access to Elders and Traditional Knowledge Keepers and a generous benefit package. We strive to uphold pre- colonial management and policy structure, while being supportive and maintaining a positive work atmosphere.
The Indigenous Outreach Navigator under the direction of the Executive Director will provide physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual support to Indigenous homeless clients with complex needs. The Navigator will work with Hamilton Police Service as part of the Rapid Intervention and Support Team (RIST) within the Crisis Response Branch (CRB), to provide prompt crisis support to citizens of the City of Hamilton suffering from mental health, addictions, and homelessness by providing appropriate referrals to community agencies
- College diploma in Social Services or closely related field and a minimum of 3 years’ experience in associated field;
- Knowledge of the homeless and housing sectors in the Greater Hamilton Area, including resources;
- Experience working in an Indigenous organization is an asset;
- Demonstrated experience in effectively working with people with complex needs and vulnerabilities in the homelessness sector;
- Experience providing client-centered services within a multi-disciplinary team of providers;
- Ability to advocate on behalf of clients to facilitate access to identified needs;
- Excellent communication skills, particularly in the areas of negotiation, facilitation, mediation and problem solving;
- Intermediate computer literacy skills including Microsoft office suite and databases;
- Demonstrates cultural competency including awareness, knowledge and empathy;
- Demonstrated experience and or understanding of Trauma Informed Care;
- Non-violent Crisis Intervention Training;
- Ability to use initiative and work independently;
- High flexibility with strong interpersonal skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse environment and to collaborate within a group setting;
- Must be available to work some evenings and occasional weekends;
- Must possess a valid driver’s license with a clean driving record;
- Must have or obtain, within 30 days of hiring date, a Vulnerable Sector
HRIC is a highly flexible organization offering 2 weeks paid vacation, additional compensation including 5 paid cultural days, 4 paid holidays beyond mandatory Employment Standards, paid shutdown over the Christmas holiday week, and health benefits. HRIC health benefits are offered to full time permanent employees, employees will be able to enroll upon the successful completion of their (3) three-month probationary period.
HRIC is committed to providing a barrier-free work environment in concert with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. As such, Hamilton Regional Indian Centre will make accommodations available to applicants with disabilities upon request during the recruitment process.
HRIC strives to ensure that its employment practices are free from direct and indirect discrimination and is committed to upholding the human rights of those participating in the hiring process. In pursuit of this commitment, Hamilton Regional Indian Centre will not condone or tolerate any acts of discrimination or harassment under any of the grounds protected under human rights legislation. This commitment extends to the hiring process and throughout the course of employment.
Since this position is engaged primarily in serving the interests of Indigenous people, HRIC shall give preference to Indigenous people who possess the requisite skill sets and experience.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org or in an envelope marked
Human Resources Hamilton Regional Indian Centre
34 Ottawa Street North, Hamilton, Ontario L8H 3Y7 FAX: 905-548-0024