Website Lakehead University
Indigenous Health Research Coordinator
Thunder Bay Campus
Full Time, Contract
Competition # GEN-22-08
The successful candidate will coordinate research projects related to Indigenous health, including the CIHR funded projects “Engaging for Change” which seeks to implement strategies to improve the provision of culturally safe health care for Indigenous peoples in Thunder Bay ON and “Waasegiizhig Nanaandawe’iyewigamig Mino-bimaadiziwin” (WNMB) which seeks to prevent cancer through traditional healing, including monthly traditional healing practitioner visits and seasonal medicine camps.
The position will be supervised by Dr. Lana Ray who is the principal investigator of the projects.
*There is the potential for this position to be a post-doctoral fellowship
Salary: $CAN 47,000/year + benefits
Term: 1-year with the possibility of extension for additional terms
Expected Hours: 35 hours/week
Start Date: Ideally the successful candidate would start August 15, 2022
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until the position
The Indigenous Health Research Coordinator will:
- Plan and coordinate the initiation of research study protocol, and the establishment
of operating policies and procedures.
- Prepare research ethics board applications
- Coordinate and undertake research activities including interviews with health service providers and traditional healing clients
- Transcribe interviews and focus groups
- Ensure the smooth and efficient day-to-day operation of research and data collection activities
- Work collaboratively with Dr. Ray’s research assistants and graduate students
- Plan, coordinate and keep records for advisory meetings and other relevant tables and engagement activities
- Monitor the progress of research activities; develop and maintains records of research activities, and prepares periodic and ad hoc reports, as required by investigators, administrators, funding agencies, and/or regulatory bodies.
- Contribute to writing peer-reviewed manuscripts and community knowledge translation activities
- Support the development of grant applications to support future research studies
- Master’s Degree in a relevant discipline.
- Prior research and project coordination experience
- Prior experience working with Indigenous communities and in the health care sector would be considered an asset.
The candidate should send a cover letter, CV and list of 3 references sent via email to:
Dr. Lana Ray, Department of Indigenous Learning
955 Oliver Road,
Thunder Bay ON
P7B 5E1, Canada
We appreciate your interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be notified.
Lakehead University is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals including women, racialized persons, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities and other equity-seeking groups. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. This is in accordance with Canadian immigration requirements.
Lakehead University is committed to supporting an accessible environment. Applicants requiring accommodation during the interview process should contact the Office of Human Resources at (807) 343.8334 or email@example.com to make appropriate arrangements.