Kayanase – Full-time Position
As the Ecologist you will be responsible for overseeing the ecological restoration department and working on planning, coordinating and assisting in all projects.
As the Ecologist you will possess the following skills; effective communication both written and verbal, data reporting, and excellent computer skills. In addition to these skills, you must meet these qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in either Ecology, Environmental Science, Wildlife Biology, Conservation Biology, Natural resource Management or Habitat Restoration
- College Diploma in Natural or environmental Science with five (5) years’ experience working in Ecological or Habitat restoration or Natural Resource Management, with a strong technical foundation
If you have a strong desire to help the native environment thrive, tell us who you are by submitting the following:
- Cover letter stating how you meet the demands of this position
- Up to Date Resume highlighting your qualifications, and
- Three (3) work related references (letters not required)
|Kayanase’s Mission: is to restore the health and beauty of Mother Earth, using science-based approaches and Traditional Ecological Knowledge (TEK).|
Applications may be submitted to:
Human Resources, P.O. Box 69, 16 Sunrise Court, Ohsweken, Ontario N0A 1M0
Applications may also be faxed and emailed to (f)(519)445-4777 or firstname.lastname@example.org please have all documentation submitted by 4:00pm on Wednesday January 26, 2022. Late applications will not be considered.
GRETI is committed to accessibility for persons with disabilities based upon the core principles of dignity, independence, inclusion, integration, responsiveness and equality of opportunity in employment and training. We welcome all applications; preference will be given to Six Nations members to provide services for the Six Nations community; based on the need to provide professional services, only those applicants meeting the minimum qualifications will be contacted for an interview
| Title: Ecologist
Reports To: CEO, Business Opportunities or Delegate
PURPOSE AND SCOPE
The Ecologist is responsible for overseeing Kayanase’s Ecological Restoration department. The Ecologist will work closely with the Operations Manager in securing and managing ecological restoration projects, planning, coordinating and assisting with their implementation through guidance and expertise to staff, clients and customers regarding ecological matters.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Ecology, Environmental Science, Wildlife Biology, Conservation Biology, Natural Resource Management, or Habitat Restoration, OR,
- College Diploma in Natural or Environmental Science with five (5) years’ experience working in Ecological or Habitat Restoration or Natural Resource Management, with a strong technical foundation.
- Pesticide Exterminators License (forestry, landscape, and/or industry level)
- Valid Ontario driver’s license
- Ontario Chainsaw license
- Technical Tree Cutting license (recommended)
- Seed Collecting certificate (recommended)
The Ecologist must be knowledgeable and possess skills in the following areas:
- Knowledge on identifying and interpreting natural heritage ecology of Ontario, including native and non-native species and Species at Risk
- Ability to work independently and part of a team
- Capability to work in extreme environmental and weather conditions
- Capacity to work in an office setting and travel to outdoor field sites
- Possess excellent computer skills and knowledge of mapping and GIS software
- Possess effective written, oral and technical communication skills
- Provide site investigation, sampling and analysis to determine restoration plans
- Produce technical data reports and share information with relevant individuals
- Capability to use specialized surveying equipment and GPS devices
- Desire to improve habitat conditions and overall health and wellbeing of Mother Earth
- Compliance with all local and federal laws and regulations
- Managing Ecological Restoration projects, including planning, coordinating, supervising, and assisting with implementation when necessary
- Monitor and assess current, new and past project sites as required
- Secure project contracts through client relations, projecting bidding, and proposal writing
- Communicate with clients and partners regarding Ecological Restoration projects and inquiries
- Represent Kayanase at client meetings and through presentations and outreach events
- Prepare reports on ecological restoration projects based on project contracts and commitments
- Participate in regular staff meetings and team discussionsProvide consultation services to staff, clients, and customers when necessary
- Submit monthly reports to the Operations Manager on ecological restoration and nursery operation activities
- Research and recommend best practices for greenhouse and nursery operations, and ecological restoration methods where applicable
- Recommend direction of Kayanase business based on industry trends.
- Keep up to date with environmental policies and legislation
- Assist with the collection of genetically appropriate native seed to be used for propagation.
- Contribute ideas about changes to Kayanase’s policy and/or legislation based on ecological findings
- Other duties as deemed relevant to the position
FOR A COMPLETE COPY OF THE JOB DESCRIPTION, PLEASE CONTACT HUMAN RESOURCES at email@example.com, please allow 24 hours for a return email or call (519)445-2222 ext. 3113.