Website Southwest Ontario Aboriginal Health Access Centre
Location: London and Chippewa
Status: Full time* (*35 hours per week between both sites) Posting Date: October 7, 2021
Southwest Ontario Aboriginal Health Access Centre (SOAHAC) is a diverse, dynamic, multiservice Indigenous health and wellness agency. We strive to provide quality, wholistic health services by sharing and promoting traditional and western health practices to enable people to live in a more balanced state of well-being. SOAHAC provides services to Indigenous people including those who live on and off reserve, status, non-status, Inuit, and Metis within the Southwest and Erie St Clair regions. SOAHAC has a mandate of ensuring that health services are accessible, of high quality, and are culturally appropriate. It is SOAHAC’s objective to build health care capacity within Indigenous communities. Currently, we are seeking the services of a Dentist to join our interdisciplinary staff team to work at both our London and Chippewa sites.
Reporting to the Chippewa Integrated Care Manager, the Dentist is responsible for the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the teeth, tongue, soft tissue and supporting tissues. The incumbent is responsible for performing examinations, interpreting diagnostic x-rays, and effective treatment planning to improve the oral health of the patient. The dentist will perform all aspects of general dentistry including but not limited to operative dentistry, removable and fixed prosthodontics oral surgery, periodontal care and endodontics.
- Doctorate Degree in Dentistry required
- Successful completion of Canada’s National Dental Exam is required
- License to practice dentistry through registration with the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario (RCDSO) and in good standing
- Minimum of 5 years’ work experience as a Dentist
- Willingness to participate in Indigenous Cultural Safety Training, teachings and ceremonies
- Clean and current vulnerable sector police check as a condition of employment
- Valid government issued driver’s license and access to reliable vehicle
- Up to date immunization record including COVID vaccinations
- Ability to perform patient screening, charting and medical history procedures and documentation
- Knowledge of medical terminology required
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing as well as communicate technical information to patients and non-technical staff
- Ability to analyze medical records and prescribed protocol to formulate effective therapeutic treatment plans
- Knowledge and understanding of dental surgery and associated procedures, terminology, and techniques
- Ability to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times
- Computer literacy, including effective working skills with MS Word, Excel and e-mail required
- Familiarity with electronic charting (ABELDent Software)
- Travel between London and area, as well as, SOAHAC sites as required
This job may require additional responsibilities and duties as assigned by Southwest Ontario Aboriginal Health Access Centre.
This position is full-time @ 35 hours (5 days) per week and will work between both sites, based on client demand. Salary is competitive and subject to experience. Comprehensive benefit and pension package (HOOPP) included.
SOAHAC values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer; however, hiring preference will be given to qualified Indigenous applicants. SOAHAC is committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require accommodation to apply or if selected to participate in an assessment process, please advise Human Resources.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please forward your cover letter and resume to:
Subject line: Dentist, London & Chippewa
Or mail to: Human Resources
Southwest Ontario Aboriginal Health Access Centre
425 – 427 William Street,
London, ON N6B 3E1
Closing Date: Open until filled
We thank all those for applying but only those selected for an interview will be contacted