Website Atlohsa Family Healing Services
Posting Date: Monday, November 14, 2022
Posting ID: 095
Atlohsa Family Healing Services is seeking a motivated and dynamic individual to fill the role of a Winter Response Community Care Worker (6 positions). The primary role of the Community Care Worker will be to provide a safe, supportive environment for community members who have been experiencing homelessness. You will be responsible for communicating with other agencies, maintaining confidentiality of all participants and documents of the Atlohsa Winter Response program and will work in a fast-paced team environment. This position may require working shifts that consist of day time, afternoon and overnight hours. Candidates must be willing and able to commit to being called in on short notice if the need shall arise.
Role and Responsibility
Using a wholistic Indigenous-led approach to principles of Harm Reduction and Housing First, the successful applicant will offer compassionate and assertive care and support to community members who may be experiencing homelessness, social stigma, mental health imbalance and substance use. The Community Care Worker will be responsible for assessment and intake of community members in need of temporary housing and must be comfortable with operating from a land-based healing model. The Community Care Worker will address and access the immediate comfort and need of individuals accessing the winter response site. This may include providing lay counselling and proactively intervening when crisis or conflict arises; which may include aggressive or disruptive in the moment behavior due to substance use and or mental health challenges. The Community Care Worker will liaison with other social service agencies, record accurate and detailed shift notes and must be able to provide clear, concise objective communication regarding community members being supported in Winter Response Temporary housing. The Community Care Worker will work to ensure that Atlohsa Family Healing Services is a safe space for all community members accessing services and programming by referring community members to more appropriate locations if the need shall arise.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the languages, traditional ways, history and cultures of the Indigenous population in the London region
- Strong analysis of colonialism and they ways in which historical and ongoing colonization impacts Indigenous people intergenerationally
- Current knowledge of Indigenous community services and resources
- Understanding of Indigenous homelessness
- Experience working with marginalized individuals
- Demonstrated ability to receive training support, supervision and direction
- Demonstrated strengths in interpersonal relations, problem-solving, crisis intervention, group dynamics, community development and other innovative approaches
- Understanding of cultural safety and an awareness of its impact on practice
- Skills in conflict resolution, mediation, and negotiation (to build trust and resolve disagreements)
- Excellent organizational and coordination skills and the ability to prioritize multiple competing workload demands in fast paced environment
- Effective communication (both written and verbal) and interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with others in a respectful manner as defined in the Atlohsa Code of Conduct
- Current Vulnerable Sector check
- Current Driver’s license and clean driving abstract
EMPLOYMENT TERM: Full-time, Contract CLOSING DATE: Until filled, ASAP
REMUNERATION: Competitive compensation and benefits package based on qualifications
Individuals who self-identify as First Nations, Metis or Inuit are strongly encouraged to apply. At Atlohsa, we value diversity in our workforce and encourage all qualified candidates to apply, however preferences will be given to qualified, Indigenous applicants.
Please submit a cover letter and resume or referral to:
Atlohsa Family Healing Services Inc.
641 Jubilee Road Muncey, ON N0L 1Y0
Tel No. 519-438-0068 | Fax No.: 519-438-0070 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Full Job Description Available Upon Request. We thank all those who apply however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.