POSITION TITLE: Data Analyst
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
CLASSIFICATION: Contract – until March 31/22 with possible extension until March 31/23
SALARY: $ 81,537.27 annum
LOCATION: Toronto, Ontario
POSTING DATE: September 30, 2021
CLOSING DATE: October 28, 2021 @12:00pm
The Association of Native Child and Family Services Agencies of Ontario (ANCFSAO) is committed to staffing a workplace that is representative of the Indigenous population we serve. We encourage First Nations, Metis, and Inuit applicants to apply and please self-identify in their cover letter.
In the simplest terms, we are looking for a person not only skilled in writing and running SQL in order to find data quality issues in our data, but also someone that will be able to take those findings and recommend corrections to the data team/council, and on approval, to make those changes in the front-end systems.
In industry terms, this means we’re looking for a hybrid role between a data steward (35%) and a data manager (65%), someone with sound technical knowhow around relational databases like a data manager, but that can also use those findings to quantifiably increase the quality of the organization’s data by making corrections to the data, like a data steward.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SKILLS:
▪ 3-5 years robust experience in SQL, with a good understanding of the theory underlying relational algebra – unions (full outer joins), intersections (inner joins), and variations enabled by left and right joins
▪ 3-5 years experience in data quality as a data manager, with a strong ability to analyze data
▪ 3-5 years experience in data quality as a data steward, identifying critical data elements and co-defining data quality metrics and thresholds for those critical data elements, as well as identifying and correcting data quality issues by means of these findings
▪ A willingness to learn to use our member agency’s front-end system(s), which will be used to capture the corrected data into
▪ Technical writing – the ability to create structured reports, highlighting how data varies from the data quality rules that have been defined for each data element, and to thus formally document results as part of the audit record
▪ Capturing the metadata related to each critical data element in an agency repository or in an alternative tool. The nature of this metadata should include the meaning of the data element, and whether the data element constitutes Personally Identifiable Information (PII)
▪ Numeracy – strong grasp of algebra
▪ Interpersonal skills, predominantly with the operations part of the business
▪ Problem solving skills
▪ Data quality process development experience
▪ Data quality policy development experience
▪ Certified Data Management Professional (CDMP)
College diplomaUniversity degree or 3 years equivalent work experience in data.
▪ Very Good written and oral communication skills, and strong documentation skills.
▪ Very Good interpersonal skills, with a focus on rapport-building, listening and questioning skills.
▪ Exceptional customer-centric orientation and ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
▪ Ability to conduct research into a wide range of computing issues as required. Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
▪ Ability to absorb and retain information quickly.
▪ Highly self-motivated and directed. Keen attention to detail.
▪ Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
▪ Demonstrated understanding of workplace Health and Safety practices and understanding of an employee’s responsibility under current legislation.
▪ Ability to work effectively with all levels of staff, to maintain effective communication and working relationships, demonstrating strong interpersonal skills, tact, sensitivity and build strong internal relationships
WORK SITE LOCATION:
This position will be in Toronto, Ontario, with the opportunity to work virtually as well. Travel within Ontario may be required.
Please email the following items with the subject line, “Data Analyst”, by October 28, 2021, at 12:00pm to HRgeneral@ancfsao.ca :
I. A Cover letter outlining why you are the most qualified candidate for this role, including your experience working directly with First Nations, Inuit and Métis Peoples, Communities and Organizations.
II. Resume (include 3 work related references).
Incomplete Applications will not be considered. Only those selected will be contacted for an interview.
Please note that preference will be given to qualified First Nations and Aboriginal applicants. Please self-identify. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodation is available on request from candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Our Agency is committed to an inclusive and barrier-free environment for all our candidates and employees. Should you at any time have an accessibility need or have any questions regarding the recruitment process and a full job description, please contact HRgeneral@ancfsao.ca