Website New Commons Development
Non-profit real estate development company
New Commons Development is seeking an interim leader to manage its Toronto team and projects
New Commons Development is looking for a part-time Team Lead for its Toronto office to cover a 12-month maternity leave.
New Commons is part of the growing non-profit real estate development sector in Canada. The focus of the role is on team management, leading and supporting team members in delivering projects primarily in the GTHA. This role is currently proposed as a part-time position estimated at about 24 hours per week.
We’re looking for someone with the ability to work closely with community groups to support the realization of their development vision. You are really strong at juggling multiple priorities, staying organized and making sound decisions. You have experience managing small staff teams and driving schedules. And you know what is required to manage a development project through the entitlements process as well as experience with managing construction projects.
New Commons Development is a non-profit real estate development company that works to create affordable housing and other real estate assets in partnership with local community. New Commons is part of New Market Funds, a social impact intermediary that is B Corp certified, charity- and employee-owned, and that provides charities, non‐profits, and co‐ops with alternative capital to catalyze community‐based projects across Canada.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
New Commons Development is seeking an experienced mid-career manager to lead its development team in Toronto. This role will report to the Managing Partner. The interim Team Lead will manage a team delivering multiple affordable rental housing development projects through planning, design and engineering, and construction.
- Supervises and supports an existing team of 3 – an Analyst and 2 Development Managers – and any contract staff that may be hired: Allocates projects and new assignments, Follows each project’s progress and achievement of milestones, Identifies key project issues and works with team members to resolve these
- Manages Toronto weekly staff meetings, supports NCD team meetings
Project and Workflow Management:
- Compiles status reports and updates on each project and provides information as required to Managing Partners
- Provides support and direction to staff on project management including procurement, contracts/legal documentation, planning approvals, construction management
- Coordinates with analyst and Managing Partners on financing and funding applications and closings
Budget and Financial Oversight:
- Reports on and is accountable for project milestone achievement, revenue target achievement and cost controls
- Advises Managing Partners and finance team on project capital needs
- Supports Managing Partners to manage NCD budget
Stakeholder Management and External Communications:
- Coordinates information related to key stakeholders (e.g. partners, funders, etc.) so that there is effective sharing of information internally and consistent messaging externally
Maintains and manages relationships with current and potential project partners (e.g. Executive Directors, Boards of Directors), all levels of government (e.g. City government, CMHC locally) and other key stakeholders
QUALIFICATIONS AND KNOWLEDGE
We’re looking for someone with experience in:
- Non-profit affordable housing development
- Providing leadership to a small team of development analysts and project managers
- Managing workflow across a team, assigning project work, and overseeing successful delivery of project milestones
- Supporting senior leadership in financial and project reporting
- Stakeholder management and communications
- Relevant experience, including multi-family residential and commercial projects ideally with exposure to construction completion and delivery
- Familiarity with applicable housing programs and regulations including federal, provincial and local funding sources
- Familiarity with contracts and consultant agreements
- Thorough working knowledge of development cash flows and project accounting
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills (both written and verbal) are required
- Strong negotiating and decision-making skills focused on results with an ability to balance multiple perspectives
Well organized and flexible
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
New Commons Development is willing to be flexible in terms of the contract form and approach to compensation for the right candidate. If you are interested in this opportunity, please email your resume to email@example.com with ‘Interim Team Lead’ in the Subject Line, no later than April 16, 2021.
New Commons Development is committed to equity in employment and diversity in our team and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. If you are an applicant with a disability and require accommodation during the hiring process please contact us. All qualified applicants are invited to apply. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for follow-up will be contacted.