Website Niagara Regional Native Center
Traditional Indigenous Foods and Harvesting Program Coordinator
Permanent Full Time
$43,000-$45,000 plus benefits
The Traditional Indigenous Foods and Harvesting Program Coordinator will coordinate sustainable and culture-based production and conservation of traditional foods that promote food security and amplify local traditional knowledge in the Friendship Centre community. This coordinator needs an understanding of land based teachings, the ceremonial cycles of First Nations, and have the ability to connect and maintain relationships with traditional Indigenous food experts.
- Strong knowledge and awareness of Indigenous cultures and history, with emphasis on the impacts of trauma on social determinants of health and experiences of food insecurity.
- Understanding of traditional food systems and
- Ability to work professionally and collaboratively with Friendship Centre programs and external community organizations.
- Strong communication and relational skills to effectively transfer knowledge around traditional foods and harvesting.
- Experience working in agricultural settings, or participation in traditional harvesting, butchering or conservation activities an asset.
- Recent (<5 years) Food Handler Certification from reputable government approved agency (i.e. Canadian Institute of Food Safety) an asset but not required.
- Excellent skills in both written and oral communications
- Proficiency in MS Office 365 software an asset
- Must have a valid driver’s license, Insurance, and reliable
- Must have or be able to obtain a clear CPIC for the Vulnerable
Knowledge of Indigenous community and history is crucial to supporting the Friendship Centre movement. Please include your knowledge in the application.
Submit cover letter, resume, and have three references available. Please include the title of the position in the subject line and send application to:
Niagara Regional Native Centre Email firstname.lastname@example.org
382 Airport Road
Niagara on the Lake, ON L0S 1J0 Closing: Until filled