Employers: If you are seeking recruitment support, please contact our Employment and Opportunities Coach, Pierce Abrams, by e-mailing: email@example.com
Job seekers: Did you know that could be eligible for up to $2000 in employment transition supports just for obtaining a full-time job?! Fill out the Client Intake Form and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org to get started!
Job Description Posting
(For Positions in UNIFOR Local 5555, Unit 1)
JD/TJD # JD00592
Pay Grade: 6
Title: Research Assistant
For Department use only. Indigenous Student Services provides and connects Indigenous learners to the supports and services they need along their educational journey. We work to hold space for Indigenous learners by identifying and working to removing barriers, close gaps and providing holistic supports. The Research Assistant will be the primary support for a new project, assisting with the project coordination, research and data collection, needs assessment, reporting. The project officer will also be responsible for the development and implementation of the communications plan for the project. This project will design and deliver a summer transition program to support Indigenous learners to develop their readiness for postsecondary studies at McMaster. This project will use online course delivery and mentorship model to encourage and empower learners to take the next step in their education journey. It will provide individual and small group connections so that learners have someone to go to while they apply for studies and through the admissions stage.
Responsible for organizing and administering one or more research projects within required deadlines under the direction of a Principal Investigator or project leader.
Purpose and Key Functions:
- Oversee the collection, entry, verification, management, analysis, and reporting of data.
- Use statistical software to analyze data and interpret results.
- Design and maintain databases, data collection forms, error checking methods and related programs for efficient collection, analysis, and reporting.
- Modify and reconfigure databases to ensure the optimal storage of data and minimize data entry complexities.
- Troubleshoot moderately complex computer problems.
- Write data management and operations documentation for the project.
- Liaise between the project centre and remote project sites and personnel.
- Conduct structured project participant interviews.
- Ensure that the relevant research methodology is applied and all research material is handled in accordance with established protocols, policies, and procedures.
- Participate in the development of promotional strategies and related
materials to encourage participation and support for research projects.
- Develop presentations and present information and training sessions to project personnel and project participants.
- Conduct literature searches.
- Oversee the extraction and compilation of data required for reports and disseminate data to research groups and collaborating partners.
- Implement and maintain the research project budget. Create financial
projections and make adjustments to the research project budget
throughout the fiscal year.
- Exercise appropriate budget controls, monitor, and reconcile accounts
- Write, update, and archive data management and quality assurance conventions.
- No formal supervision of others is required.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of study.
- Requires 2 years of relevant experience.
For Department use only.
- Understanding of Indigenous culture, knowledge, communities, and
barriers that may affect Indigenous students in post-secondary education.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office suite applications (Teams, Word, Excel,
- Experience using social media for professional or community purposes. Able to carry out general office administrative tasks with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work on projects independently and collaboratively.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills.
- Strong time management and organizational skills.
- Available to work evenings on occasion.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Youth leadership experience.
- Knowledge and experience working with Indigenous organizations and community programs, particularly in education
- Lived experience of Indigenous world views, cultures and values
To fulfill McMaster’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusivity and
pursuant to Section 24 of the Ontario Human Rights Code (the Code), this
position is restricted to applicants who identify as a member of an Indigenous community (First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples). Candidates from this designated group are invited to self-identify in their cover letter, in a transparent manner, as part of the application process.
To apply online visit: http://www.workingatmcmaster.ca/careers/
Go to “Postings” > “External Applicants” > “Staff Positions” RESEARCH ASSISTANT – JOB ID 39713