Posting Date: Tuesday, November 16, 2021
Posting ID: 062
Atlohsa Family Healing Services is seeking a motivated and dynamic individual to fill the role of Indigenous Learning Developer. The main priority of the Indigenous Learning Developer is to provide education to increase skills for social service workers to provide culturally relevant and culturally safe homelessness and housing services to Indigenous peoples in London, ON. The Indigenous Learning Developer will work collaboratively to contribute to the strategic directions of the Giwetashkad Indigenous Homelessness Strategic Plan 2020-2023, by being the primary helper for the Giiwitaabiwag Indigenous Training Series currently offered to service providers (frontline and leadership staff) in London’s homelessness sector.
Role and Responsibility
Mobilizing principles of Indigenous education and culture and land-based approaches, the successful applicant will assist with curriculum and content development for training modules on Indigenous cultural safety, Indigenous homelessness, Indigenous trauma-informed care, cross-cultural communication, and Indigenous harm reduction. The Indigenous Learning Developer will be a co-facilitator and trainer for Atlohsa’s Giiwitaabiwag Indigenous Education Series and will be comfortable presenting information in an engaging way with a diverse demographic of adult learners. The successful applicant will navigate complex group discussions about colonization, systemic racism, and power dynamics in service delivery in a respectful and welcoming way while stimulating critical reflection across multiple perspectives. Other tasks will include event planning and organizational coordinating for training sessions. The Indigenous Learning Developer may work on broader tasks to support an overall community education strategy that includes coordinating training for internal staff team, hosting regular culture-based community events, arranging guest speakers, and managing social media accounts to continue learner engagement over time. The Indigenous Learning Developer has experience and passion for conducting secondary research on key topics relating to London’s Indigenous community to regularly review and improve curriculum.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences or equivalent college certificate preferred (Social Justice, Social Work/Social Service Worker, Indigenous Studies, Communications, Education or related field)
- Must have a sound, solid, and grounded Indigenous identity, and balanced level of personal wellness
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of languages, history, and cultures of the Indigenous population in the London region
- Experience working with marginalized individuals in social/community programs
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with ease and confidence in presenting complex information in group settings
- Experience in curriculum development, group facilitation, event planning and coordination
- Skills in conflict resolution, mediation, and negotiation to build trust and resolve disagreements across different perspectives and ability to interact with others as defined in the Atlohsa Code of Conduct
- Demonstrated strengths in interpersonal relations, creative collaboration, problem-solving, and community development
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize competing workload demands in fast paced environment
- Applicants of Indigenous Ancestry preferred. Please self-identify as Indigenous in your application.
EMPLOYMENT TERM: Full-time contract position to March 31st, 2022 with high potential for renewal
REMUNERATION: Competitive compensation and benefits package based on qualifications
CLOSING DATE: Until filled
Please submit a cover letter and resume to:
Atlohsa Family Healing Services Inc.
2212 Elm Ave
Southwold, ON N0L 2G0
Tel No. 519-438-0068 | Fax No.: 519-438-0070 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org