The world's largest presenter of Indigenous screen content.
The imagineNATIVE Film + Media Arts Festival is currently accepting applications for the following role:
SOCIAL MEDIA + COMMUNICATIONS ASSISTANT
A rare opportunity to work at one of Canada’s leading arts organizations celebrating its 22nd annual Festival, October 19-24, 2021!
Application Deadline: Friday, March 12, 2021
(NOTE: late applications will not be accepted)
Temporary, assistant position (52 weeks), 35 hrs/week
Rate: $21.00 CAD per hour
April 1, 2021 – March 31, 2022
Send your C.V./Resume along with a cover letter in a single .pdf file by email, with the job title in the subject heading, to employment@imagineNATIVE.org
You may address the cover letter to:
Kathleen Walsh, Social Media + Communications Manager
imagineNATIVE Film + Media Arts Festival
401 Richmond St. West, Suite 446
Toronto, ON M5V 3A8
All applicants must meet requirements for employment as determined by Miziwe Biik Aboriginal Employment and Training.
SOCIAL MEDIA + COMMUNICATIONS ASSISTANT JOB DESCRIPTION
(Temporary, assistant position, contract staff)
REPORTS TO: Social Media + Communications Manager
The Social Media + Communications Assistant will support the Social Media + Communications team in planning, executing, and reporting on all social media and communications-related initiatives. The training provided will cover social media post creation and analysis of social media analytical data, website editing and management (using Squarespace, WordPress), and web page creation, as well as Public Relations work including publishing press releases on the website and on social media, and some graphic design work.
The Social Media + Communications Assistant will learn incredibly valuable, on-the-ground training related to communications at the world’s largest Indigenous film festival. This position is an excellent opportunity for an individual interested in working in Communications in the cultural and film industry sector.
We are seeking an experienced Social Media + Communications Assistant to oversee imagineNATIVE’s social media channels and work on other aspects of the communications department. The Social Media + Communications Assistant is a key member of the communications and marketing team that collaborates with imagineNATIVE staff and reports to the Social Media + Communications Manager. This position is a full-time contract from April 1, 2021 until March 31, 2022.
Our ideal candidate is an individual with personal and professional knowledge and awareness of Indigenous communities (artistic, cultural, social). This person is a collaborative, highly creative, and data-driven strategic thinker, with meticulous attention to detail and who thrives in fast-paced, creative environments. We are looking for a storyteller with content development and some photography and photo/video-editing experience; an excellent communicator and strong writer; a steward of our brand and voice, who can effectively engage in an authentic dialogue with our growing social and online communities; and a trend-spotter who is passionate about all things social, and has their finger on the pulse of new social features, tools, and trends across existing and new channels.
You should love crafting the perfect message through social media and online marketing, an excellent collaborator and a multi-tasking self-starter who’s passionate about building community engagement, and has a keen eye for striking visuals. Furthermore, you should be adept at project management, and able to see things through from inception to completion, whether that’s dealing with press releases or crafting images and graphics to be posted on social media.
- Develop innovative and relevant content promoting imagineNATIVE initiatives (i.e. year-round events, giveaways, stories, screenings, the 2021 Festival, etc)
- Create, curate, and manage published content across imagineNATIVE’s social channels working with Hootsuite (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, other emerging channels)
- Develop content utilizing existing assets and be able to create new assets (videos, photos, graphics, etc)
- Actively monitor our social community
- Collect and collate on impressions and other visitor data across all social channels to report on key analytics (i.e. demographics, engagement, impressions, etc)
- Analyze and interpret key metrics, learn, and optimize strategy as needed
- Utilize imagineNATIVE’s content calendar to publish consistent content and promote content through social advertising (e.g. Facebook Ads)
- Analyze campaigns and translate anecdotal or qualitative data into recommendations and plans for revising social media, content marketing, SEO, and social advertising campaigns
- Engage with other brands, bloggers, well-connected followers, pundits, thought leaders, and other influencers that are aligned with our brand and business goals as necessary to enhance social media strategies
- Spot new social media and influencer trends and tools that could positively impact our business, and provide counsel to marketing leadership about noteworthy opportunities
- Compile reports for management showing results (ROI)
- Work with imagineNATIVE’s public relations team to publish press releases on the imagineNATIVE website and on social media
- Create new pages and update existing content on the imagineNATIVE website (Squarespace) and Festival website (WordPress)
- Take photos and/or video and be able to create public-facing graphics to promote imagineNATIVE and our initiatives
- 2+ years experience assisting in managing social media channels, preferably for an arts/Indigenous organization
- Demonstrated success driving highly-engaged social campaigns, and overseeing content, audience growth, and engagement across social channels
- Demonstrated success in project management
- Knowledge of Indigenous communities and their social networks
- Ability to follow direction and to determine and follow through on next steps; ability to take initiative
- Ability to work equally well independently and in a team environment
- Strong, effective writing and verbal communication skills
- A keen eye for and attention to detail
- Familiarity with principles of SEO including keyword research and Google Analytics
- Familiarity with website management (Squarespace, WordPress) and light coding skills an asset
- Aptitude in photography, photo/video-editing skills, an asset
- Ability to create engaging content using applications (such as Canva, Mojo, etc) an asset
- Ability to use Adobe Creative Cloud programs (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premiere) an asset
- Bachelor’s Degree in PR, Communications, Marketing, Journalism or a related field is an asset
- Must be available to work occasional overtime approaching the dates of our October Festival (which will take place October 19 – 24, 2021)
- Must be able to work from home in a place with reliable internet and your own computer and smartphone
imagineNATIVE is proud to have a dynamic and diverse staff with the majority being Canadian and international Indigenous individuals. We are committed to achieving and maintaining a team that reflects and affirms the diversity of our society and works together in providing a discrimination-free environment, characterized by respect and equity, where people can realize their full potential.
Should you require any accommodations in the application process, please contact employment@imagineNATIVE.org or by phone at 416-585-2333.