Kayanase – Contract Position
Horticultural Production Technician
As the Horticultural Production Technician you will assist the Plant Production Lead in overseeing the propagation and production of thousands of plants at Kayanase. You will be contribute in seed collecting, processing and production and inventory of native Carolinian species at the Kayanase nursery. If you are a hands on learner, enjoy the outdoors and take great pride in restoring our mother earth, apply for our Horticultural Production Technician.
As the Horticultural Production Technician you will possess skills in planning and organizing, problem solving, and critical thinking. In addition to these skills, you must meet these qualifications:
- Minimum Horticulture Technician Bachelor’s Degree, Diploma OR Training
- Minimum of three (3) years’ Experience in plant production
- Willingness to learn Carolinian native plants
- Knowledge of native plant taxonomy is an asset
- Seed collection cerifitication is an asset
If you have a strong desire to help the native species plants and environment thrive, tell us who you are by submitting the following:
- Cover letter stating how you meet the requirements of this position
- Up to Date Resume highlighting your qualifications, and
- Three (3) work related references (letters not required)
|Kayanase’s Mission: is to restore the health and beauty of Mother Earth, using science-based approaches and Traditional Ecological Knowledge (TEK).|
Applications may be submitted to:
Human Resources, P.O. Box 69, 16 Sunrise Court, Ohsweken, Ontario N0A 1M0
Applications may also be faxed and emailed to (f)(519)445-4777 or email@example.com please have all documentation submitted by 4:00pm on Wednesday January 26, 2022. Late applications will not be considered.
GRETI is committed to accessibility for persons with disabilities based upon the core principles of dignity, independence, inclusion, integration, responsiveness and equality of opportunity in employment and training. We welcome all applications; preference will be given to Six Nations members to provide services for the Six Nations community; based on the need to provide professional services, only those applicants meeting the minimum qualifications will be contacted for an interview
Title: Horticultural Production Technician
Reports To: Plant Production Lead
PURPOSE AND SCOPE
Under the guidance of the Plant Production Lead, the Horticultural Production Technician will assist the Plant Production Lead oversee propagation at Kayanase and the production of the thousands of plants that will be needed for retail and restoration projects. They will have the opportunity to contribute to seed collection, processing, production and inventory of native Carolinian species at the Kayanase nursery including trees, shrubs, grasses and herbaceous species. . This is a full-time position that is required to make sure plants are healthy throughout the year.
Under the direction of the Plant Production Lead, the Horticultural Production Technician will assist with the seed inventory logging, cut tests, germination trials and general care and maintenance of the Seed Bank
In support of Kayanase’s goal of providing quality products and services, the Horticultural Production Technician shall continuously strive to improve operations, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively with other staff to provide quality services.
- Minimum Horticulture Technician Bachelor’s Degree, Diploma or Training
- Minimum 3 years Experience in plant production and a willingness to learn Carolinian native plants.
- Knowledge of native plant taxonomy is an asset
- Good Plant identification skills
- Seed Collection Certification an asset
- Familiarity with concepts of Traditional Ecological Knowledge is an asset
STATEMENT OF DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES
The Horticultural Production Technician is responsible for the following tasks:
- Maintaining healthy plant stock through watering, seeding, monitoring and Integrated Pest Management
- Ensuring proper processing / stratification of native plants
- All other duties as requested by Plant Production Lead.
The Horticultural Production Technician shall possess (or be willing to obtain) the following:
- IPM (Disease/Sanitation/Pesticide application)
- Familiarity with Groware Inventory Management Software is an asset
- Good physical condition. Lifting up to 40 lbs
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Willingness to work overtime to meet deadlines. (Saturday and Sundays may be required)
- Good analytical and problem solving skills.
- Working knowledge of relevant computer software programs including MS word, spreadsheet applications, etc…
- First Aid and CPR an asset
- Knowledge of WHMIS
FOR A COMPLETE COPY OF THE JOB DESCRIPTION, PLEASE CONTACT HUMAN RESOURCES at firstname.lastname@example.org, please allow 24 hours for a return email or call (519)445-2222 ext. 3113.