Ontario Public Services
*Indicates the salary listed as per the OPSEU Collective Agreement.
The Community Services I&IT Cluster (CSC) of the Ontario Public Service serves the Ministries of: Colleges and Universities (MCU), Education (MEDU); Municipal Affairs and Housing (MMAH) and Tourism, Culture and Sport (MTCS). The Data Collection and Decision Support Solutions Branch (DDSB) supports the ministries by providing information management tools that help enable public policy decision making, business and strategic planning, program support, comprehensive review and continuous improvement.
The role will be working in the Asset Management Unit of DDSB.
The Asset Management Unit work on many different projects including Data Collections, Data Warehouse, Business Intelligence and Advance Analytics solutions. These tools collect data and transform it into meaningful information, enabling evidence-based strategic, tactical, and operational insights and decision-making. Client Ministries have access to historical, current and predictive views of business operations, increasing the analysis capacity of decision makers.
OPS Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion, Accessibility, and Anti-Racism:
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario’s Human Rights Code. Refer to the “How to apply” section if you require a disability-related accommodation.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will;
• lead the design, development and enhancements of a data warehouse system
• provide detailed data analysis and systems design
• implement ETL solutions using Informatica, MS Access, SQL, Oracle and DB2 on UNIX/NT platform
• develop detailed ETL system, module, programming, application specifications, designs, documentation
How do I qualify?
• You have demonstrated ETL expertise using ETL tools such as Informatica and Visual Warehouse.
• You have demonstrated programmer analyst skills including ability to provide a range of specialized systems services (e.g. technical specifications, programming analysis, design and construction) to implement systems initiatives.
• You have knowledge of structured methodologies for the development, design, implementation and maintenance of applications.
• You have knowledge of programming concepts and languages, development/testing concepts methodologies and techniques.
• You have knowledge of relational and dimensional database concepts.
• You have experience in working with DB2 and Oracle databases, information retrieval package and query languages (SQL), and Korn Shell scripting.
Analytical and problem-solving skills:
• You have knowledge of business analysis and technology planning to prepare documentation in support of systems analyses and policy recommendations.
• You have the ability to identify and assess options, recommend and implement workable systems solutions, and develop strategies for systems adjustments.
• You can translate corporate information requirements into system specifications and detailed programming/testing of applications.
Communication and consulting skills:
• You have consulting skills to advise senior management and users on the use of the ETL tool, business information requirements options, systems solutions and enhancements.
• You have oral communication skills to advise users on operational and programming changes, and to clarify and discuss information requirements.
• You have written communication skills to document the operational manual and procedure process/information/application requirements, business justification, and to develop technical documentation.
- 1 Permanent, 777 Bay St, Toronto, Toronto Region
- The information that you provide for the purpose of this competition and the results from this competition may be used to fill other positions. These positions may be of various tenures including short-term assignments. Your information and the results from this competition will be retained for the purpose of filling vacancies in accordance with the applicable collective agreement or policy provisions.
How to apply:
- You must apply online by visiting www.ontario.ca/careers. You must enter the job id number in the Job ID search field to locate the job ad.
- Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the Writing a Cover Letter and Resume: Tips, Tools and Resources.
- Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
- OPS employees are required to quote their WIN EMPLOYEE ID number when applying.
- If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment services team will contact you within 48 hours.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
Job advertisements for positions that have been designated bilingual will be provided in both English and French on the website. Positions that are not designated bilingual are not translated and are displayed in English only on both the English and French versions of the website.
Les annonces d’emploi pour les postes désignés bilingues sont publiées en anglais et en français sur le site Web. Les annonces pour les postes qui ne sont pas désignés bilingues ne sont pas traduites et elles figurent en anglais seulement, tant dans la version française que dans la version anglaise du site.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario’s Human Rights Code.