Website Aboriginal Legal Services
Position Title: Gladue Writer
Job Category: Full time- 12 Months Contract- Unionized
Reports to: Senior Manager, Gladue Writer
Aboriginal Legal Services (ALS) strengthens the capacity of the Aboriginal community and its citizens to deal with justice issues and provide Aboriginal controlled and culturally based justice alternatives. Our dedicated staff is our most valued resource. Compassionate care, teamwork, professionalism, communication, and respect are the values that set ALS apart. ALS is looking for a Gladue Writer for a 12-month contract beginning immediately. This is a unionized position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Write Gladue Reports for Aboriginal offenders awaiting sentencing;
- work will include interviewing clients, researching relevant issues, developing recommendations for consideration by the court.
- The Writer will have excellent interviewing and writing skills.
- The Writer must be able to work independently.
- The Writer must be able to work on a number of reports at one time.
- Knowledge of the operation of the criminal justice system.
- Knowledge of the programs and services available to Aboriginal people.
- Attend sentencing hearings for clients.
- Work with Gladue Caseworkers in developing sentencing recommendations for clients.
- Other duties as assigned,
- Excellent interviewing and writing skills.
- Ability to work with a wide range of individuals.
- Ability to work independently and to manage a regular caseload of clients.
- Knowledge of the criminal justice system and programs and services available to Indigenous people in Barrie area would be a great asset.
- Valid driving license is Preferred.
To apply to this job posting please submit your cover letter and resume with “Gladue Writer” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax it to (416)408-1568 by no later than 5 pm on Friday 26th , 2021.
Aboriginal Legal Services is an equal opportunity organization committed to diversity and inclusion. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds, allowing us to benefit from a wide variety of experiences and perspectives. We welcome and encourage applications from all qualified applicants. Accommodations for persons with disabilities required during the recruitment process are available upon request. To request accommodation, please email Nazaninn@aboriginallegal.ca. We would like to thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.