The mandate of the Ontario First Nations Technical Services Corporation (OFNTSC) is to provide technical and enhanced advisory services to all First Nations in Ontario. The OFNTSC requires the services of an Infrastructure Specialist to assist in fostering technical self-reliance by providing support in the following areas: Conduct new housing inspection and plan reviews. The OFNTSC provides service in the CMHC First Nation Housing Programs for Section 95, Residential Rehabilitation Assistance Program (RRAP) and Physical Condition Reporting (PCR), and Code Compliance utilizing the Ontario Building Code and National Building Code. Other services provided for Indigenous Services Canada (ISC) are advisory services regarding Minor Capital planning and budgeting, non-professional aspects of Major Capital and O&M including Integrated Capital Management system (ICMS), First Nation Infrastructure Investment Program (FNIIP), Capital Asset Inventory System (CAIS), Asset Condition Reporting System (ACRS) and advice regarding the utilization of training resources. The position will work out of the Thunder Bay office or out of the Brantford office and will report directly to the Director of Operations.
Strict confidentiality must be recognized and maintained at all times.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the supervision of the Director of Operations the duties and responsibilities of the Infrastructure Specialist include:
- Conduct inspections for CMHC First Nation Housing Programs that include Section 95, Residential Rehabilitation Assistance Program (RRAP), Physical Condition Reporting (PCR), and Code Compliance Inspections utilizing the OBC and NBC and other applicable codes.
- Conduct inspections on new housing at five (5) required stages of construction.
- Conduct reviews of house floor plans to ensure compliance with code requirements.
- Assist and advise clients on other advisory services available from OFNTSC such as housing, training, fire protection, and environmental.
- Assist and advise Unaffiliated First Nations with required reporting by Indigenous Service Canada (ISC)
Assist and advise clients in all activities related to the annual or periodic inspections of community facilities and understanding the terminology used in carrying out the Asset Condition Reporting System (ACRS) inspections.
- Provide support and advice on the First Nations National Reporting Guide (FNNRG), contract management and administration, research, and advice on new technology and methods of construction and capacity development.
- Conduct inspection and conditional assessment services.
- Liaise with the Senior O&M Technologist, when required, in the Brantford office.
- Maintain relationships and partnerships with the various communities, stakeholders, and federal and provincial agencies.
- Understand the procedures and protocols in dealing with First Nation communities, government bureaucracies, and agencies.
- Prepare and maintain a project schedule and project budget.
- Provide First Nation communities with the skills and expertise necessary to manage technical training.
- Provide “hands-on” field experience.
- Maintain records and evaluations for First Nation clients.
- College Diploma in Civil Engineering or Architectural Technology/Technician or other related specialties;
1-2 years of related experience;
- Training and/or working knowledge of the Ontario or National Building Code (training may be provided for individual meeting the educational requirements to get Building Code Qualified through the
- Ontario Building Officials Association (OBOA));
Construction Experience considered an asset;
- Must be willing to obtain a Government of Canada Security Clearance;
- Training and/or extensive knowledge in the area of Building Science is considered an asset.
“In efforts to promote the safety, security, and wellbeing of staff members, communities, and people we come into contact with, the OFNTSC Human Resources department will be giving preference to applicants who have proof of two full doses of a Health Canada approved COVID-19 vaccination.”
Please mark clearly on the uploads “INFRASTRUCTURE SPECIALIST” and send your cover letter and resume labelled [LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME_INFRASTRUCTURE SPECIALIST]
We thank all applications, however only those receiving an interview will be contacted.